When Did Build over Agreements Come into Force

The other option is for the seller to give the buyer liability insurance to protect against financial losses incurred by building the property over a public sewer. This is the fastest and cheapest option, but whether or not insurance is available depends on the circumstances of each case. If you want to overbuild a public sewer, you are required by law to enter into a construction contract with the water and wastewater supplier. This hasn`t always been the case in the past, and this blog explores when a construction agreement is needed, how it affects you and your property, and what the situation was before October 2011 in terms of construction plans. If you do not have a construction agreement and you are building on or within 3 metres of a public sewer, the water authority has the authority to remove all structures that block access to the public sewer and is not responsible for any damage caused. Typical authors of construction agreements are conservatories or extensions where the owner simply built them without being aware that a construction agreement is needed, or perhaps not knowing that there is a real public sewer under these structures. When expanding your property, it`s always important to check where the sewer pipes are before you start working. The registration fee will usually reset you to £300 (see your local water supplier`s website). The construction work itself is usually quite simple, unless you need to divert the sewer or build new replacement wells. There may also be a few small additional costs to create suitable drawings for the application. A construction contract assures the water supplier that the work to be done will not have a negative impact on the sewer underneath, and it also ensures that the water company continues to have sufficient access to the sewer for repair and maintenance. If you plan to build near or above a public sewer, you should contact the water company before completing the work to determine their needs. Argh hit the post too early.

You must ask the sewer company when the sewer was adopted as part of the expansion. I hope it was not accepted during the construction of the extension, in which case you would not have needed a construction contract. Yes, the building permit for the extension is 1992.So dated from the time of construction to the time the new requirements were not yet in force. What does this mean, can I conclude from the fact that it was already defined as a public sewer and was therefore taken into account in the planning regulations during the construction of the extension? For more detailed information on construction via public sewers, please visit this page on the Severn Trent Water website so that we are close to the exchange and the search has identified a public sewer running at the back of the house. This is a 1930s house and the extension was built in the 1990s. A building permit has been obtained for this purpose. The fountain is located right in front of the extension wall, perhaps one meter away. My lawyer asked the seller`s lawyer to tell us if he had a construction contract, but that seems unlikely. A construction agreement (BOA) may be required if you are building an extension of your home. This is a legal agreement between you and your water company that ensures that your work will not only negatively affect a public sewer located under or near the boundary of your building and that they will always have a way to access the sewer if repair and maintenance work is required. A construction agreement is a document in which the owner assures the local water authority that the work to be done will not negatively affect the public sewer below or nearby. It also sets the local water authority`s access rights to the sewer so that it can continue to be repaired and maintained by them.

If you plan to build near or above an adopted sewer, you should contact the local water authority before starting the work to find out their requirements. Sometimes problems arise when homeowners try to sell their property that has been partially or completely built on a public sewer system. Conservatories and extensions are the usual authors. If no construction agreement has been reached in the execution of the works, the water company has the legal right to enter the property to access the sewer, even if it means the demolition of the structure located above the sanitation system. .